A Toolkit for Schools and Districts Based on the National Awards Program for Model Professional Development
Learning From the Best
By Emily Hassel
The toolkit is available in a web version,
as Adobe Acrobat Reader (.pdf) files which you can download and read.
The Acrobat Reader
is available free.
You can download the Adobe Acrobat Reader version of the toolkit as one big file or you can download the individual sections of the toolkit.
Toolkit Facilitator's PowerPoint Presentation and Guide.
The Whole Toolkit
Individual Sections of the Toolkit
Introduction and Overview (480k)
Step One: Designing Professional Development (1.5MB)
- Professional Development Action Planners Organizer Checklist
Step Two: Implementing Professional Development (384k)
- Include Participants and Organizers in the Professional Development Design Process
- Make a Clear Plan That Includes How Professional Development Supports the School/District's Long-Term Plan
- Make a Clear Plan That Includes a Professional Development Needs Assessment Process
- Make a Clear Plan That Includes Professional Development Goals
- Make a Clear Plan That Includes Professional Development Content, Process, and Activities
- Make a Clear Plan That Includes Research That Supports the Chosen Content/Process for Professional Development
- Make a Clear Plan That Includes Resources Available to Support Professional Development
- Make a Clear Plan That Includes Professional Development Evaluation Steps
- Share the Plan With the School Community
Step Three: Evaluating and Improving Professional Development (208k)
- Stay Abreast of and Incorporate Best Practices into Teaching, Learning, and Leadership
- Make Sure School/District Policies and Practices Support Actual Professional Development Implementation for Staff in Schools
- Ensure That Resources Remain Available to Organize and Implement Professional Development
- Make Professional Development Part of Everyday Life at School
Step Four: Sharing Professional Development Learning (144k)
- Use Professional Development Design Goals to Determine Evaluation Measures and Standards for Success
- Clarify Who Is Accountable for Collecting, Analyzing, and Reporting Data and for Facilitating "PD Next Steps" Decisions
- Use Evaluation Findings to Make Improvements in Professional Development
- Ensure That Evaluation Criteria Include at Least: (a) Improvement in Teaching, (b) Improvement in Student Learning, and (c) Narrowing of Student Achievement Gaps
- Document Your Decisions Clearly
- Keep Implementation Materials Organized and Available to Others
Action Planner Tools
- Appendix A: U.S. Department of Education Award Criteria and Step-by-Step Actions
- Appendix B: Professional Development Resources
- Appendix C: National Awards Program for Model Professional Development Winner Profiles
- Appendix D: What the Research Says About Professional Development That Works
(these are individual pages from the toolkit above)
Copyright © North Central Regional Educational Laboratory. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer and copyright information.