Cultural, Cross-Cultural, and Multicultural Knowledges
Barrera (1992) outlines three knowledge bases needed to effectively promote
the literacy achievement of culturally and linguistically diverse students:
cultural knowledge, cross-cultural knowledge, and multicultural knowledge.
Focal Ideas of Cultural Knowledge:
Focal Ideas of Cross-Cultural Knowledge:
- "Making meaning is culturally mediated.
- Human meaning is cultural meaning." (p. 232)
Focal Ideas of Multiultural Knowledge:
- "Literacy and literature are cultural phenomena.
- Practices in literacy and literature differ across cultures." (p. 232)
- "Cultures involve relations of power.
- Literacy teaching is culturally mediated." (p. 232)
Copyright © North Central Regional Educational Laboratory. All rights reserved.
Disclaimer and copyright information.