Environment for Parent-Teacher Conferences
According to Coleman (1991), a comfortable conference environment
accomplishes the following:
- Allows parents to begin by asking questions and expressing
- Gives participants enough time.
- Shows the child's work.
- Begins and ends with positive comments.
- Asks open-ended questions (such as "How do you read to Joey?"
rather than "Do you read to Joey every day?").
- Matches the family's communication style.
- Does not give advice but asks families to share their
feelings and make suggestions.
- Later thanks the family with a note.
Date posted: 1996
Copyright © North Central Regional Educational Laboratory. All rights reserved.
Disclaimer and copyright information.