Strategies for Developing Equitable Performance Tasks
Koelsch, Estrin, and Farr (1995) recommend the following strategies for developing equitable performance tasks:
- "Strategy 1: Translate an existing assessment into students' home languages.
- Strategy 2: Change the names or background information in an existing assessment to match the linguistic or cultural background of students.
- Strategy 3: Develop tasks that ask students to express or evaluate positions and ideas based on their own perspectives and experiences.
- Strategy 4: Develop tasks that promote connections between school knowledge and local context, including language and culture.
- Strategy 5: Develop tasks that integrate students' cognitive styles and strategies with school expectations for learning.
- Strategy 6: Develop tasks that assess multiple ways of knowing and tap more than one form of representation (oral, written, displayed)." (pp. 27-28)
Copyright © North Central Regional Educational Laboratory. All rights reserved.
Disclaimer and copyright information.