Rules of Thumb for
David (1994) promotes the following rules of thumb for
professional development in technology:
- "Invest at least as much in professional development as in
technology. If funds are limited, use what is available for professional
development and seek other funding sources, including grants and
business partnerships, for acquiring technology.
- Focus on ensuring teacher access to and comfort with technology
for their own uses before expecting extensive use with students.
- Invest in developing principals as leaders of change, supporters
of teacher development, and modelers of technology use.
- Maximize the leverage of professional development by investing
in lead cadres of teachers--one or more from each school--who
are supported to share expertise with colleagues, and in other
- Give school faculties (as a whole, as teams, and as individuals)
the flexibility to select the kinds of training and other development
opportunities appropriate to their needs and preferences."
Copyright © North Central Regional Educational Laboratory. All rights reserved.
Disclaimer and copyright information.